English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Rumbeam (Copse and Barn)

Early-attested site in the Parish of Wisborough Green

Historical Forms

  • Rumbeme 1327 SR
  • Rumkemys (sic) 1541 BailiffsAccts


Rumbeam (Copse and Barn) (6″) was the home of Richard de Rumbeme (1327 SR), an assessor in the Hundred of Rotherbridge, and is called Rumkemys (sic) in 1541 (Bailiffs Accts ).The place must have taken its name from some large tree, v. rum , beam .