English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Limpsfield


Trevereux. In SAC vi the following old spellings are given from the MSS of Mr Leveson-Gower: Trivyrocks 1542, Trivyrock 1545, Treurokes 1557, Treverocks 1581, Trewrock 1626, Treverook , Treverox 1637, Tyverox (sic) 1644, Treverock 1648, Treveruex 1714, Trevereux 1788. A Thomas Treverak is mentioned in 1424 and a Thomas Trivyrock in 1540. The place must have taken its name from this family.