English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Cripplecrutch Hill

Early-attested site in the Parish of Chiddingfold

Historical Forms

  • Copeledecrouche 1359 Loseley
  • Copilcroche 1518 ib
  • Cripplecrouch Field 1842 TA
  • Copledecroche t.Hy3 For
  • la Copledecroche 1270 Seldxxxi


Cripplecrutch Hill (old 6″) is Copeledecrouche 1359Loseley , Copilcroche 1518 ib., Cripplecrouch Field 1842TA . An identical name occurs in the Surrey bounds of Windsor Forest, viz. Copledecroche t. Hy 3For , la Copledecroche 1270 Seld xxxi, probably on or near the Hogs Back. The first element in both these names is doubtless the word coupled , used by Wycliff of a roof built with couples or rafters. A coupled cross was probably a cross with a peaked covering, formed from two small beams meeting at a point above it.