English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Stray Or Two Hundred Acres

Other OS name in the Parish of Knaresborough

Historical Forms

  • Comon 1708 Hrg


, formerly Comon 1708 Hrg ; the Enclosure Act laid it down that ' 200 acres near Harrowgate Spaws ' were to be left open ( 1770EnclA 94 ) , v. stray ' a piece of unenclosed commonpasture ' .

Places in the same Parish

Early-attested site

Other OS name