English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Nichols Moss & Wood

Early-attested site in the Parish of Beetham

Historical Forms

  • le Knykeles 1280 FF 1354 ChancM
  • Knickles 1631 Dep

Etymology

Nichols Moss (1845TA ) & Wood (1857OS ), le Knykeles 1280FF , 1354ChancM , Knickles 1631Dep . The name refers to two small hillocks between the Winster and Nichols Moss. The first el. is probably an ON  *knykill , probably the source of the Faroese word knykil , which is used of 'a rounded hill-top' as in the p.ns. Knyklarnir , Undir Knyklunum (Matras, FærN 179), and various other related words like ON  knjúkr , Norw  dial. knyk , etc. are also used of 'a peak, a hill-top' (cf. Jóhannesson 212, 335); the cognate OE  cnucel means 'knuckle' and OE  gecnycled 'bent, crooked', but a topographical extension of meaning 'knobbed, knobbly' occurs in Sir Gawayn l. 2166 in the phrase ruʒe knokled knarreʒ 'rough, knobbly rocks'.

Places in the same Parish

Early-attested site

Other OS name