English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Four Oaks

Other OS name in the Parish of Beckley

Historical Forms

  • Brownsmiths Oaks 1724 B
  • Bromenesmyththe (sic) 1320 Misc


is so called in 1795 (GY) and is Brownsmiths Oaks in 1724 (B); Brownsmith is Bromenesmyththe (sic) in 1320(Misc) and is referred to in 1469 as the manor of Brownsmyth ( Dawson ) , cf. Whitesmith supra 403 .