English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Lewell Mill

Other OS name in the Parish of West Knighton

Historical Forms

  • Lewel Mill 1811 OS
  • 'a mylne called East Stafford mylne' 1512 Hutch3
  • molendin' de Est Stafforde, Est Stafforde Mill 1552 Mansel 1674
  • 'the watermill called East Stafford Mill' 1669 Hutch3


, Lewel Mill 1811 OS, probably identical with 'a mylne called East Stafford mylne '1512 Hutch3, molendin ' de Est Stafforde ,Est Stafforde Mill 1552 (1674) Mansel , 'the watermill called East Stafford Mill '1669 Hutch3 , cf. Mill Close 1785EnclA , Mill Gdn ,Mill Mdw , Mill Plot , Tucking Mill Md 1843TA , v. myln , Lewell Fm andEast Stafford supra . There was a mill at the smaller of the two manors called Sta (n )ford in 1086 DB (VCHDo 384) .