English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Salmons Bridge

Early-attested site in the Parish of Tillington

Historical Forms

  • atte Samesbrugg 1296 SR


Salmons Bridge gave name to Matilda atte Samesbrugg (1296 SR). The modern name is clearly a piece of pseudo-etymolo- gising and it looks as if the earlier form also were corrupt.Possibly we should connect the first element with the words samel or sammen used of bricks or tiles imperfectly burned (v. NED s. vv .). Owing to the pinkish colour of such bricks, the word is often corrupted to salmon . Such bricks or tiles may have been used in the bridge, v. Addenda xlvi.