Early-attested site in the Parish of Romford Rural
- (la) Gid(i)ehall' 1258 WalthamA
- Gid(d)yhall(e), Gid(d)ehall(e) 1376 Cl 1412 FA
- Gydihall by Ramford 1466 Ch
- Giddye hull 1594 N
- la Ged(i)ehall(e) 1258 WalthamA 1307 Extent
- Gedyhall(e) 1478 IpmR
- Geryhall 1510 ADvi
- Godding' 1275 RH
- Guyd(a)y(e)hall 1549 Pat 1576 Indexiii
- Guydie hall parke, warren 1668 Terry
- Gidea Hall 1881 O.S.
- Gydiebernes, Gydyebernes 1248 FF
- Gediberne 1375 Ct
- la Gidiland 1507 ADii
The interpretation of this name is obscure. The first element looks like the common adj. giddy (OE gydig ) but it is difficult to see how, except by way of a nickname, this could be applied to a hall. Such a use of giddy seems also to be found in Gydiebernes , Gydyebernes 1248 FF, Gediberne 1375Ct (Canewdon) and perhaps in la Gidiland 1507 AD ii (Mistley). Cf. also Giddy Hall in Little Clacton infra 336.