Early-attested site in the Parish of Kingston upon Hull
- Stanfery 1349 Ipm 1381 ADi 1527 FF
- Staneferi, Stanefery 1418 YI 1435 ADii 1563 FF
- Staneferrye 1613 FF
- Stonferry 1349 Ipm 1536 FF
- Stoneferry(e) 1541,1604 FF
- Staynfery 1542 MinAcct
Stoneferry [stiənferi, stuənferi] is Stanfery 1349 Ipm, 1381 AD iet freq to 1527 FF, Staneferi , Stanefery 1418 YI, 1435 AD ii, 1563 FF, Staneferrye 1613 FF, Stonferry 1349 Ipm, 1536 FF, Stoneferry (e )1541, 1604 FF, Staynfery 1542MinAcct . In 1269 Joan de Stuteville had the right to put an iron chain across the river Hull at Stanfordrak to keep pirates off (Ebor 139) and from this it would seem that the older name of the place was 'stone ford' (v. stan , ford , and cf. Stamford Bridge supra 186); when the ford was replaced by a ferry (v. ferja ) the name was changed accordingly. Otherwise, it is difficult to see the precise significance of a compound of stan and ferja . v. Addenda lx.