English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Fifehead Cmn

Other OS name in the Parish of Fifehead Neville


, cf. (the ) West Com (m )on 1666Salkeld , 1697Salkeld , Fifehead Nevill Little Common or Gobson Common 1697Salkeld , ye Lower Comon 1709Salkeld , the Higher Common 1787Salkeld , Hr Fifehead Common & Lr Fifehead Common 1842TA ; the form Gobson is no doubt to be taken with common called Goleson 1603Weld 2 , but it remains obscure .