English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Croft Hills

Early-attested site in the Parish of Littleport


Croft Hills is so named c. 1825 (O.S.). Cf. Littleport Crofts 1606Depositions , Lyttleport Craftes 1672FenL . Hence was named the Old Croft River supra 9. Major Gordon Fowler points out that Jonas Moore's map shows that in his day the old flood plain of the course of the Welney north of Littleport was occupied by an almost continuous line of little crofts or small holdings, abutting upon the river (CAPr xxxiv, 24).