English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Egdean

Historical Forms

  • Ryvers 1487 IpmR
  • Ryvers 1543 MinAcct
  • Riverhill 1602 SRS33
  • atte Euere 1380 LibP


Riverhill is called Ryvers in 1487 (IpmR), Ryvers in 1543 (MinAcct ) and Riverhill in 1602 (SRS 33), and is referred to as atte Euere in 1380 (LibP ). The place is on a steep slope and the first element is OE  yfre. v. River infra 123.

Places in the same Parish

Major Settlement