Early-attested site in the Parish of Bosham
- Westfysshburne 1498 Ipm
This is the Westfysshburne of 1498 (Ipm) in distinction from New or East Fishbourne infra 70. Mr Peckham suggests the following explanation of the 'Old':—Appledram was parochially part of Bosham till the Reformation and probably manorially so till c. 1125 (v. infra 62 n. 1). As Bosham Manor in DB included the parishes of Bosham, Funtington, West Stoke and (almost certainly) Appledram, New Fishbourne (less the Summersdale portion, only joined to the parish in modern times) was originally part of the lordship of Bosham. Fishbourne if severed must have been severed TRE or earlier. The part of the village which remained in the lordship of Bosham would naturally be Old , in contrast to the New manor just made.