English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Frimley


Camberley. This is a modern settlement due to the establishment of the military camp near by. It was first known as Cambridge Town, after the Duke of Cambridge, who built the Staff College here in 1862, the name being changed later to Camberley 'for postal convenience' (VCH iii, 341).