Early-attested site in the Parish of Artington
- Rettescroft 1225 Ass
- Rattescroft 1294 FF
- Rattescrofte 1332 SR
Rushcroft Fm (6″) is so named in 1841 (TA ) and probably gave name to Nicholas de Rettescroft (1225Ass ), Gilbert de Rattescroft (1294 FF) and Thomas de Rattescrofte (1332 SR). The first element looks like OE ræt , 'rat,' probably used to form a contemptuous nickname for a small holding, 'rat's croft.'