Early-attested site in the Parish of Sapperton
- the Tyning 1833 Downs
Tyning Villa, the Tyning 1833Downs . The dial. word tining is used in some south-western counties (Wo, Gl, W, So) to denote either 'a fence of wood, brushwood or quickset' or 'an enclosure with such a fence' (EDD s.v. tine vb), and it often occurs in later minor names and f.ns. in Gl. The word is first recorded c. 1440 in the sense 'dry hedge' (NED s.v.) and is from OE tȳnan 'to enclose' (v. tȳning , a derivative of tūn in its original sense of 'enclosure').