Robin's Wood Hill
Early-attested site in the Parish of Matson
- Robinhoodes Hill, Robinhoodes Hill als. Mattesknoll 1624 GlR
- Robins-wood 1777 M
- Robin-Hood's hill 1779 Rudder
Robin's Wood Hill, Robinhoodes Hill , Robinhoodes Hill als. Mattesknoll 1624 GlR, Robins-wood 1777 M, Robin -Hood 's hill 1779 Rudder. The name may well recall that of the family of Robins who had been tenants of the manor (Rudder 541) and in 1526 obtained a 70-year lease of Matson (cf. BG ii, 241 ff, 249), but Robin 's Wood was by popular etymology changed at an early date to that of Robin Hood of the ballads.