English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of St Bees

Historical Forms

  • Loukerig' 1288 Ass
  • Lokerigge 1540 MinAcct
  • Lockrigg 1657 CW(OS)xiv
  • Lowkrigg 1680 PR


The solitary medieval form suggests that the first element may be ON  laukr , the cognate of OE  lēac , 'leek.' The second element is hryggr.

Places in the same Parish