English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Coneyside Ho

Early-attested site in the Parish of St Bees

Historical Forms

  • Cuningishow c.1135 StB
  • Cuningeshou c.1140 ib
  • Coningshou c.1260 ib


The three medieval forms represent ON  konungs haugr , 'king's mound' (v. haugr ). The identification with Coneyside is probable, but no early modern forms have so far appeared to confirm it.

Places in the same Parish