English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Fulstow

Historical Forms

  • Summerheade 1595 FMap 1595 FSurv
  • Someryde 1613 LMR
  • the Summer Head, the Summer Eat Closes 1819 EnclA


SUMMERHEAD (lost), Summerheade 1595FMap , 1595FSurv , Someryde 1613LMR , the Summer Head , the Summer Eat Closes 1819EnclA ; fields called Summerhead are found both in Fulstow and in Marsh Chapel, infra , as well as in North Coates, v. Summereat Lane infra .For forms of the name and a discussion of the etymology, v. Summerhead in Marsh Chapel infra . The fields here called Summerhead lie south of New Dike and north of the road running east from Churchthorpe, and east of The Moorings and west of the unnamed lane running north from the Churchthorpe road.They are at a distance from the fields of the same name in Marsh Chapel, but earlier may well have comprised a single pasture.