English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Chapel

Other OS name in the Parish of Withcote

Historical Forms

  • The Church 1877 White
  • ecclesia de Wytecoc 1220 MHW
  • ecclesiam de Withcot' 1235 RGros
  • ecclesie de Wythecot 1236 Pat
  • ecclesie de Witcok' 1236 Cur
  • ecclesie de Withkok 1238 RGros
  • ecclesiam de Withcok' 1238 ib
  • ecclesie de Wythecok(e) 1376 Pat 1560 Pat
  • the Churchyarde 1612 Terrier


is The Church 1877 White; this is a detached manor chapel ofearly Tudor date. The early church of Withcote is recorded as ecclesia de Wytecoc 1220 MHW, ecclesiam de Withcot '1235 RGros, ecclesie de Wythecot 1236Pat , ecclesie de Witcok '1236 Cur, ecclesie de Withkok 1238 RGros,ecclesiam de Withcok '1238 ib, ecclesie de Wythecok (e )1376Pat , 1560Pat; note also the Churchyarde 1612Terrier .