English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

St Michael's Church

Other OS name in the Parish of Stour Provost


, cf . 'church of Stourprewes '1358 Pat ; the abbey of St Leger of Préaux ( v. par . name supra ) did not establish a cell or priory here according to VCHDo 2 48 , but the following references should be noted : domusin Stures Prewes 1268Ass , 'priory of Stoure Prewes '1392, 1405 Pat , 'the priory of Prihaulx or manor of Stourepriaulx '1462 ib .