Early-attested site in the Parish of Urchfont
- Redhorn Turnpike 1812 RCH
Redhorn Hill takes its name from the stone once known as Red Hone which is to be found on the crest of the hill (BM 691. 1). Red Hone is mentioned in several Acts dealing with the repair of the Turnpike (e.g. 1756, 1784) and it is clear that the name Redhorn is a corruption of it, first found in Redhorn Turnpike 1812 RCH, by the present Redhorn Plantation (6″).Red hone is 'red stone' from OE hān , 'stone, rock,' the boundary- stone probably having been distinguished as such by some artificial colouring. Cf. readan hanæ (BCS 705) in the bounds of Enford, readan hane (ib. 756) in those of Swallowcliffe, rede hane (ib. 708) in those of Tarrant (Do) and readanhane (ib. 801) in those of Blewbury (Berks). The old name is still used locally.