Early-attested site in the Parish of Great Hormead
- Langeport 1086 DB 1214 Cur 1221 FF 1248 Ass 1387 Walden
- Herestrete 1472 Kings
- Hare Street 1593 Sess
- Hairestreete Bridge 1613 ib
Langport means 'long town,' v. lang , port . We cannot be certain that it is identical in site with the later Hare Street, but Langeport was a DB manor in Edwinstree Hundred and the context in the Walden cartulary makes it quite clear that the place was in Great Hormead parish. Hare Street is a long straggling settlement along a main road (cf. the same name supra 151) and might well be described as a 'long port' or town.The road here is not a Roman one but may well be an ancient track.