The Tibble Stone
Early-attested site in the Parish of Teddington
The Tibble Stone, from which the hundred is named (41 supra ), is a stone which Rudder 267 described in 1779 as standing 'near the turnpike road from Tewkesbury to London'. In recent years the stone has been unearthed and erected on the forecourt of Teddington Hands Garage. The name means 'Thēodbald's stone', v. stān . The pers.n. is recorded in OE (as that of a member of the Northumbrian royal family) and in DB (Gl) as Tetbald ; it may well be the source of the pet-form Teotta found in the nearby Teddington (supra ).