Major Settlement in the Parish of Alresford
- (æt) Ælesforda c.1000 ASWills 11th
- Elesfordam, Elesfordā, Eilesforda 1086 DB
- Alefordā ib.
- Aleford 1212 RBE 1323 Londin
- Alesford 1246–95 FF 1270 Ipm 1303,1428 FA
- Halesford 1272 Ass
- Allesford 1291 Tax
- Alsford 1412 FA
- Alresford 1309,1312 Inqaqd 1480 IpmR 1535 VE
- Aldersforde 1544 LP
This is a difficult name. Professor Ekwall suggests that the first element is a personal name Ægel , such as is found in ægleslonan (BCS 1235). The r seems to be late and irregular.Hence, 'Ægel 's ford.'