English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Tilehouse Fm

Early-attested site in the Parish of Newick

Historical Forms

  • Tulherst 1348 Lewes
  • Tulhurst or Tilherst 1288 Ass


Tilehouse Fm (6″) is Tulherst 1348Lewes and was the home of Roger de Tulhurst or Tilherst (1288Ass ). This possibly contains the same pers. name as Tillington supra 121. In any case the modern form is irregular.

Places in the same Parish