Sutton on the Forest
Major Settlement in the Parish of Sutton on the Forest
- Su(d)tune, Suton 1086 DB
- Suttune 1145–53 Leon35 1252 Ch
- Sutton(e) 1166 YCh 1167 P
- Sutton(e) sub Galtris, Sutton(e) in Galtris 1242 Ebor
- Sutton(e) in the Forest 1577 Saxton
- Onegatesinton' 1229 Cl
- Ouergate Sutton' 1231 Ass
- Ougate Sutton' 1301 LS
- Sutton Ouvgate 1316 For
- houergate 1246 RegAlb iii. 2
'South farm' v. suþ , tun . If the form Onegatesinton ' is correct, its origin is probably an OE sūþingatūn , 'farm of the dwellers south (of Stillington)'; cf. Westonby 130infra .
On the common addition v. Galtres 8supra . The prefixed name Ougate appears independently as houergate 1246RegAlb iii. 2, and there is no doubt that it contains ME over , 'upper,' and gata , 'road.' The spellings with Ou - arise from the omission of the diacritic used in 13th cent. handwriting to denote er .