Sturgeon's Fm
Early-attested site in the Parish of Writtle
Historical Forms
- Sturgeons 1777 C
- Turgis c.1280 Bodl
Etymology
Sturgeon's Fm is Sturgeons 1777 C and, according to Morant (ii, 65), was formerly Turges and Cassus . It is thus identical with Turgys which was in the tenure of John Cassus , chaplain of All Saints, Writtle, in 1478 (Bodl ), and is to be associated with the family of William Turgis (c. 1280Bodl ). For the prefixing of s cf. Scaldhurst supra 180.

Leaflet | Tiles © Esri — Esri, DeLorme, NAVTEQ, TomTom, Intermap, iPC, USGS, FAO, NPS, NRCAN, GeoBase, Kadaster NL, Ordnance Survey, Esri Japan, METI, Esri China (Hong Kong), and the GIS User Community
Places in the same Parish
Early-attested site
- Bedeman's Berg
- Edney Wood, Edney Common
- Greenberry Lodge
- Horsefrithpark Wood, Horsefrithpark Fm
- Lawford Nursery, Lowford Lane
- Romans' Fee
- Two Bridge