English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Mill (Fordington)

Early-attested site in the Parish of Dorchester St Peter & All Saints

Historical Forms

  • Estmull 1422 Ct
  • (le) Estmille, Estmyll 1435–1552 ib
  • Eastmill 1611 DuCo
  • Luttshill Mill als. East Mill, Lutshills mills sive Easte mills, Lutshells mill 1615 ib
  • (the) East Mills 1622 Hutch3 1774 Hutch1
  • le Myll close corner, Mill close corner, Mill close cornar 1549 Ct
  • Fordington Mills Hamlett 1664 HTax
  • (pontem apud) Lutteshull(e) 1329,1335 Ct
  • Lot(t)eshull 1330,1349 Ct
  • Lutheshull 1330 Ct


Mill (Fordington) (SY 700905), probably on or near the site of Estmull 1422Ct , (le ) Estmille , Estmyll 1435–1552ib , Eastmill 1611DuCo , Luttshill Mill als. East Mill , Lutshills mills sive Easte mills , Lutshells mill 1615ib , (the ) East Mills 1622 Hutch3, 1774 Hutch1, giving name to le Myll close corner , Mill close corner , Mill close cornar 1549Ct , Fordington Mills Hamlett 1664 HTax (a tithing in Bindon liberty), and Mill Bank, Mill St. supra , v. ēast , myln . 'East' distinguishes these mills from those at West Mills infra which were also in Fordington. Lut (t )shill (s ) is an earlier p.n. occurring as (pontem apud ) Lutteshull (e )1329, 1335Ct , Lot (t )eshull 1330, 1349Ct , Lutheshull 1330Ct , probably from an OE  pers.n. *Lutt (v. Reaney s.n. Lutt ) or *Lott (v. EkwallDEPN s.n. Lottisham So), with hyll ; the entry for Lutteshull in 1329Ct concerns the abbot of Bindon, and it is probable that 'the fulling mill' and 'the abbot of Bindon's mill' mentioned in 1349Ct refer to the mill later known as 'east mill'. Other early references to a mill or mills here (or at West Mills infra ) include molendinum de Fordinton 1199–1230 P, molendinum extra Dor (e )cestr '1204–1230 P, 'the mill which Aylric Schirewyt held in Fordinton ', 'the mill outside Dorcestre which Edward Palmer held ' (given to Bindon abbey)1280 Ch, and 'the Prince of Wales 's mill at Fordyngton '1348 Pat (cf. Prince's Bridge infra ), whilst one or other of these mills was doubtless the home of Henry at (t )e Mulle 1329, Thomas atte Mulle 1335Ct , v. atte .