English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Smythemoor

Other OS name in the Parish of Moreton Say

Historical Forms

  • Smithmoor Common 1635 GT
  • Smith Moor 1718 GT
  • the common of Smethmoor 1728 SBL4336
  • Smythymoor 1803 SBL4375
  • Smithsmoor 1867 SBL4351
  • Smithy Moor Meadows or Smith Moor Meadows 1826 SBL4357
  • Smithymoor 1838 TA

Etymology

, Smithmoor Common 1635 GT, Smith Moor 1718 GT,the common of Smethmoor 1728SBL 4336 , Smythymoor 1803SBL 4375 ,Smithsmoor 1867SBL 4351 , Smithy Moor Meadows or Smith Moor Meadows 1826SBL 4357 , Smithymoor 1838TA . On 1833 OS Smith Moor occurs twice , applied to groups of houses nearly a mile apart at the N . and S . ends of a long , narrow marsh on the boundary of Bletchley and Longford townships . On TAMap this strip is divided into rectangular enclosures , many called Smithymoor , some called Inclosures , Allotments and Crofts . The name may be identical with Smedmore PN Do 1 86 and Smithy Moor in Cockshut supra , which are considered to be ' smoothmarsh ' , from smēðe . However, TAMap has a field called Lower Yard and Smithy at the N . end of the marsh , and a Smithy Green nearby , so in this instance the meaning may be ' marsh near a smithy ' .