Hundred in the County of Cambridgeshire
- Staplehou 1086 DB, ICC, InqEl
- Stapleho(w)(e) 1260 Ass 1553 Pat
- Staplefo. … 1086 ICC
- Stapel(e)ford(e) 1175–1200 P 1302,1346 FA
- Stapelhowe 1086 InqEl 1268 Ass
- Stapelho 1168 P 1381 Ass
- Stapelhou 1175–7 P 1285 Ass
- Stapilho(e) 1275–9 RH 1336 SR 14th Cai 1401 FA
- Stapilhow 1279 RH
- Stapulho 1428 FA 1523 SR
- Staploo 1560 Depositions
- Stapelawa 1193 P
- Stapellauwe 1196 ElyC
- Stapelhoo (1298 Ass)
- viam de Stapelhoue 1198 FF
- Stapilhamweye 1451 Queens'
- Stapillo wey 1521 ib.
- Staplowey 16th ib
'Spur of land marked by a pillar' and probably, as suggested by Anderson (EHN i, 98–9), used as a meeting-place, v. stapol , hōh .Stapelford and Stapelawa are due to the influence of hundred names like Whittlesford and Thriplow which sometimes immediately precede it (e.g. 1175, 1193 P).
The hundred is named from a place Stapelhoo (1298Ass ) in Burwell.“A balk in Burwell field is called Staploe balk ” 1808 L 97. The road leading thither is frequently mentioned as viam de Stapelhoue 1198 FF, Stapilhamweye 1451Queens ', Stapillo wey 1521 ib., Staplowey 16th ib. Cf. Staploe (PN BedsHu 58).