English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Riding

Other OS name in the Parish of Leafield

Historical Forms

  • to the Green c.1840 TA


( 6 ″ ) is Road called Low Barrow Riding from Hicks Hill Stile ( cf. Hick 's Plantation in Asthall ) to the Green c. 1840TA , v. ryding .