English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Ludham Hall

Other OS name in the Parish of Ludham


, built on the remains of the Bishop 's Palace . The Abbot of St Benet of Holme ( in the adjoining parish of Horning ) had a farm called The Grange in Ludham . At the Dissolution the last Abbot was made Bishop of Lincoln by Henry VIII and the Grange was re - named The Bishop 's Palace . It was destroyed by fire in 1611 but rebuilt . v. White 772 f. and Pevsner 190 f .