English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

John O' Gaunt Viaduct

Other OS name in the Parish of Twyford and Thorpe


, a 14 - arch viaduct of the former Great Northern and London North Western Joint Railway , v. also John O ' Gaunt , a fox covert in neighbouring Lowesby . John of Gaunt ( d. 1399 ) was a major landowner in Leics . His second wife , Constance of Castile , was buried in the Collegiate Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in The Newarke , Leicester ( v. Lei 1101 ) , of which only fragments remain .