Other OS name in the Parish of Lowesby
- The Porters Lodge 1835 O
- Porthill l.18 Map
- Thimble Hall 1969 Surv
( 2 ½ ″ ) , The Porters Lodge 1835 O, v. loge. Porter ispresum. a reduction of Porthill l.18Map , an early market site ( v. port 2 , hyll ) also represented by Portels Fm in neighbouring Cold Newton . Porter 's Lodge is at a cross - roads on the crest of a hill , the road from the north - east Roman in origin , remembered in adjacent Streethill ( v. Streethill Fm infra ) , and which is recorded in neighbouring Hungarton in the late 15th cent , as portam viam ' the road to the market ' . The lodge is also known locally as Thimble Hall 1969Surv , a term of affection for this little cottage orné , gothicized in 1816 by Sir Frederick Fowke of Lowesby Hall .