English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Woodsford Castle, Woodsford Castle Fm

Other OS name in the Parish of Woodsford

Historical Forms

  • Woddeford Castelle, the Castle of Woodesford 1535–43 Leland
  • Wodesforde Castell, Castrum de Wodsforde 1579 Wal
  • Woodsford Castle 1811 OS


( remains of ) , Woddeford Castelle , the Castle of Woodesford 1535–43 Leland, Wodesforde Castell , Castrum de Wodsforde 1579Wal ,Woodsford Castle 1811 OS , cf. Castelclose 1544Ilch , v. castel(l) ; the castle was originally built in 1350 (Kelly) ; in 1861 Hutch3 1450–2 parts of the castle are referred to as the King 's Room , the Queen 's Room , the Guard Chamber , North & South Hall , and the Light or Beacon Tower ( supposed to have housed ' a light or beacon to guidepassengers through the ford ' ) .