English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Cut Stone

Other OS name in the Parish of Winscales

Historical Forms

  • Custes Stone


( 6 ″ ) , on the parish boundary , is apparently Custes Stone n.d. Whellan .