Major Settlement in the Parish of Berrow
- la Berwe, la Berge 1190 Hearne'sHeming 18th
- La Berewe Geffrey (1275 Ass)
This is clearly from OE beorg. The reference must be to the western part of the parish, which rises to the top of the Malvern Hills. The place is sometimes spoken of as La Berewe Geffrey (1275Ass ) from one Galfridus de la Barue who held the manor.Sometimes it is described as subtus Malvern (VCH iii. 257), others as Netherberrowe (Surv 1649) in contrast to Overbury, of which it was a chapelry (Heming loc. cit .).