Early-attested site in the Parish of Clyffe Pypard
- Mermaid Ground c.1840 TA
The Mermaid (Mermaid Ground c. 1840TA ) (6″) is locally called Meremaid but there is no tradition or likelihood of an inn here (E. H. G.). Perhaps the second element is mæd , 'meadow.' We are on the parish boundary here so the first element may be (ge)mære, 'boundary' (infra 441), but mere , 'mere,' is also possible as there are pools here.