English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Earl's Farm Down

Early-attested site in the Parish of Amesbury

Historical Forms

  • Haradon Hill 1610 S 1695 M 1773 AandD


Earl's Farm Down is Haradon Hill 1610 S, 1695 M, 1773 A and D. This is possibly another example of hearg and dun , 'heathen temple down'; cf. Harrowden (PN Nth 125, PN BedsHu 91) and possibly Harrow Hill (PN Sx 165). Cf. also Waden supra 295.