English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.


Early-attested site in the Parish of Long Marton

Historical Forms

  • Chonoc-salchild 1150–62 YCh
  • Cnok(e), Knok(e), Knoc 1256 Ass11 1279 1323 1398 Pat
  • -Salcok, -kok 1256 Ass72 1282 Cliff 1292 Ipm 1526 Hothf
  • Hom 1527 FF
  • -showcock 1542 Crk
  • -salkeld 1573 FF
  • Knock(e) 1634 NB 1655 FF 1823 M
  • -salkoc, -cock 1315 Ipm 1334 CWxxii,324 1443 Fleming
  • -Schallock 1315 Ipm
  • -als. Shalcocke 1617 NWm


The name is from OIr  cnocc1 'hillock' and refers to the prominent hill now called Knock Pike a mile north of the village. The affix appears to be the name of a Cumberland family from Salkeld (Cu 236), of which an account is given in CW xxi, 63–73, but no connexion has been established with Knock. As this affix occurs but twice as against many examples of Salcock and its variants Shalcock , etc., it may well be an error. Salcock is possibly a surname derived from Sawcock (YN 216); again no connexion has been found with Knock.But a word shaw-cock might have existed as a variant of e.ModE  shaw-fowl 'scarecrow' (cf. NED s.v.), and this could be the source of the affix, doubtless as a surn.