Major Settlement in the Parish of Kineton
- Cyngtun 969 BCS1234 18th
- Quintone 1086 DB
- Chintona 1122 Ch 1314 Kenilworth t.Hy1 P 1170
- Kinton(a) 1170 Ch 1314 FA 1316
- Kington(e) 1211 RBE 1217 ClR 1535 VE
- Kynctone 1228 1232 Fees
- Chepyng Kyngtone 1311 Ipm 1404 IpmR
- Greate Kington 1634 Sess
- Kyneton 1285 Wigorn
- Kineton 1656 Dugdale
- Kineton or Kington c.1830 O.S.
- Great Kyntton 1325 Ipm
'King farm,' v. tun . The manor was held by the king TRE and TRW and he granted a market (v. cieping ) here in 1220 (Dugdale 431). Traces of the name cynghæme for the inhabitants of this parish are found in the field-names Kyngemedich and Kingemewolde in the neighbouring parish of Tysoe. The ditch is the small stream which here forms the northern boundary of Tysoe, the wold is probably the high ground round Battle Fm just over the Kineton border. Cf. s. n. Napton supra 140–1.