Castle Hill and Castle Yard
Early-attested site in the Parish of Fillongley
Castle Hill and Castle Yard. Cf. fortlet de Filyngleye 1235 Cl and Peter atte Castel (1327 SR). These are two separate places, the one to the north of Fillongley, the other just to the south. At both there are remains of early castles and it is not certain to which of the two places the above citations refer. The places were known respectively as Castle-hills and Castle-yard in Dugdale's time (Dugdale 740). The first reference carries back the word fortlet some hundred years, possibly more, as there is some doubt about the earliest quotation in NED.