Major Settlement in the Parish of Bilton
- Bentone 1086 DB
- Beltone ib.
- Belton(e) c.1155 Ch 1235 Magdalen 1329
- Beltona c.1150 Pipewell
- Beauton 1221,1285 Ass 1227 FF
- Bult(h)on 1225 BM 1262 Ass 1275 RH 1329 Magdalen 1383 IpmR
- Bult(h)on in Donesmor 1329 Ipm
- Beulton 1255 FineR 1304 Ass 1309 FF 1317 AD 1364 Ch 1378 Cl 1403 FF
- Beulton juxta Dounesmor 1330 Ass
- Beulton juxta Rokeby ib.
- Beleton 1285 ib
- Bealton 1291 Tax 1545 Ct
- Beelton 1316 FA 1386 FF
- Boelton 1333 FF
- Beolton 1334 Pat
- Bylton 1492 Ipm 1542 LP
- Bilton super Dunsmore 1608 Recov
- Buylton 1535 VE
No certainty is possible with regard to this name. It stands on an unnamed stream and it may be that this bore the same name as the Bell which lies behind Bell (PN Wo 274), going back to OE Beolne (BCS 360). The history of that river-name is uncertain, cf. Ekwall, RN 32–3. An OE Beolnetun might well have given rise to the various later forms.