Major Settlement in the Parish of Ely College
- Ely College 1591 WMP
After the surrender of the Monastery of Ely in 1539, Henry VIII founded the church anew and endowed it with the site of the dissolved monastery. This is now extra-parochial, the first reference by name being “The Boke of the erection of the King's newe College at Elye ” c. 1540. v. Bentham 225–7, App. xxxiv.