English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Danefold Ho

Early-attested site in the Parish of West Grinstead

Historical Forms

  • Danningfold 1664 SAC60,69
  • Donningfold 1647 ib
  • Danielsfold 1823 G
  • Dellyng 1296 SR
  • Dallyng 1332 SR


Danefold Ho is first mentioned as Dallingford in the will of Roger Gratwyke in 1570 (SAC 60, 42). It is Dallyngfold , a parcel of the Free Chapelry of St Leonard, in the same year (t. Eliz ChancP), Danningfold in 1664 (SAC 60, 69), Donningfold in 1647 (ib. 62, 191), Danielsfold in 1823 (G). The name is probably of late origin containing the name of the family of Henry Dellyng (1296 SR) and Adam Dallyng (1332 SR) of 'Wykham' in West Grinstead Hundred. The name has clearly undergone various corruptions.