English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

Harcourt

Major Settlement in the Parish of Stanton upon Hine Heath

Historical Forms

  • Harpecote 1086 DB 1381 Cl
  • Harpercote 1271-2 Ass
  • Harecote Park, Harecote Myll 1495 Ipm
  • Harescot Park or Harecot Park 1814 PR(L)
  • Hare-court Park 1818 ib
  • Harcott als Harpcott 1692 SBL5704
  • Harcourt Park 1808 Baugh
  • Harcot Park 1810 PR(L)
  • Harcot Park 1829 PR(L)

Etymology

Second element cot. The first element could be OE  hearpe 'harp', *hearpa 'harper', or the gen. pl. of OE  hearpere 'harper'.These words are well-evidenced in place-names, but this seems to be the only instance in which the activity of harping is associated with the sort of settlement designated by cot. The modest implications of this generic are appropriate to the DB assessment of ½ hide, but a church of Harpercote is mentioned 1271-2Ass , and from 1495 (Ipm) onwards most references noted are to the manor house, which was known as Harcourt or Harcott Park in the e. 19th cent., rather than to the hamlet. The association of the name with the manor house would assist the change from -cot to -court.Harcourt has always been in the parish of Stanton upon Hine Heath.