English Place-name Society

Survey of English Place-Names

A county-by-county guide to the linguistic origins of England’s place-names – a project of the English Place-Name Society, founded 1923.

The Hooks

Field in the Parish of Rushbury

Historical Forms

  • 1841–6 TA
  • Four Lower Hook Ground 1785 TA
  • Hook Mdw 1785 TA


The Hooks(Four Lower Hook Ground, Hook Mdw 1785, there is a sharp angle in thetownship boundary here, between Stoneacton and Wall)